David Douglas Duncan
[Photojournalist, b. 1916, Kansas City, Missouri, lives in Mougins, France.]

 It’s very simple... this banging around with a camera and typewriter as a “business” is just one helluva lot of fun. 

Brett Weston
[Photographer, b. 1911, Los Angeles, d. 1993, Kona, Hawaii.]

 Photography is 90% sheer, brutal drudgery! The other 10% is inspiration!! 

Ruth Orkin
[Photographer, b. 1921, Boston, Massachusetts, d. 1985, New York.]

 My mother said that when I was young I was constantly saying, “Look at this—Look at that.” I think that taking pictures must be my way of asking people to “Look at this—Look at that.” If my photographs make the viewer feel what I did when I first took them—“Isn’t this funny... terrible... moving... beautiful?”—then I’ve accomplished my purpose. 

Robert Mapplethorpe
[Photographer, b. 1946, Floral Park, Long Island, d. 1989, Boston, Massachusetts.]

 I went into photography because it seemed like the perfect vehicle for commenting on the madness of today’s existence. 

Brian Duffy
[Photographer, b. 1933, London, d. 2010, London.]

 I thought, Gawd this looks dead easy compared to the drawing lark. I’ll give this a whiz. Take up photography as an easy way to make money. Just my sort of thing—women, gadgets, clothes—I must have a go at it. 

Larry Sultan
[Photographer, b. 1946, Brooklyn, New York, d. 2009, Greenbrae, California.]

 Like a ventriloquist who laughs at his dummy’s jokes, I keep trying to make photographs that seduce me into believing in the image—all the time knowing better, but believing anyway. 

Matthew Brady
[Photographer, b. 1823, Warren County, New York, d. 1896, New York.]

 A spirit in my feet said “go,” and I went. (On why he photographed the Civil War.) 

Berenice Abbott
[Photographer, writer, teacher, b. 1898, Springfield, Ohio, d. 1991, Monson, Maine.]

 I think the important decision for a photographer is to choose a subject that intensely interests him or her. 
quotes 1-8 of 311
page 1 of 39 next page last page
display quotes