Brett Weston
[Photographer, b. 1911, Los Angeles, d. 1993, Kona, Hawaii.]

 Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn’t photogenic. 
 My work is my language and I don’t discuss it very easily. It’s difficult for me to verbalize my feelings, or to intellectualize my work. In fact, it used to annoy me when Ansel Adams and Paul Strand yak-yak-yakked about what photography meant, and I told them so. 
 The camera for an artist is just another tool. It is no more mechanical than a violin if you analyze it. Beyond the rudiments, it is up to the artist to create art, not the camera. 
 Of course, we were not promoters, we Westons, let’s face it. Dad had only $300 in the bank at the end, that’s all he had. 
 You’re trying to pin me down. I’m not a verbal person. Look at my work and decide for yourself. It’s hard to put it into words. 
 Photography is 90% sheer, brutal drudgery! The other 10% is inspiration!! 
 I don’t photograph for other people. I love an audience, mind you. Once I’ve got them there, then I love an audience. Not a big audience, though. I’d rather please ten people I respect than ten million I don’t. But I don’t play to an audience, I do it for myself. 
 I use various types of cameras and photograph anything, anytime. It could be something modern or an ancient rock, it doesn’t matter. But, unless a landscape is invested with a sense of mystery, it is no better than a postcard. 
quotes 1-8 of 10
page 1 of 2 next page last page
display quotes