Paul Strand
[Photographer, b. 1890, New York, d. 1976, Oregeval, France.]

 Photography... is either an expression of a cosmic vision, an embodiment of a life movement or it is nothing—to me. (1919) 

Bruce Davidson
[Photographer, b. 1933, Oak Park, Illinois, lives in New York.]

 I don’t always know why I’m photographing something. It’s my learning machine. 

Abigail Solomon-Godeau
[Writer and theorist, b. 1947, New York, lives in Santa Barbara, California.]

 In the final analysis, photography... is ever a hireling, ever the hired gun. 

Rankin (John Rankin Waddell)
[Photographer, b. 1966, Glasgow, Scotland, lives in London.]

 At the end of the day, photography is ninety-nine percent business, connections, and politics and one percent creativity. 

Ernst Haas
[Photographer, b. 1921, Vienna, Austria, d. 1986, New York City.]

 Photography is a bridge between science and art. It brings to science what it needs most, the artistic sense, and to art the proof that nothing can be imagined which cannot be matched in the counterpoints of nature. 

David Hockney
[Artist, b. 1937, Bradford, England, lives in Bridlington, Yorkshire; London; and Los Angeles.]

 I mean, photography is all right if you don’t mind looking at the world from the point of view of a paralyzed cyclops—for a split second. But that's not what it’s like to live in the world, or to convey the experience of living in the world. 

Susan Sontag
[Writer, theorist, and critic, b. 1933, New York, d. 2004, New York.]

 In some way I would suggest that photography is not so much an art as a meta-art. It’s an art which devours other art... photography takes the whole world as its subject, cannibalizes all art forms, and converts them into images. And in that sense it seems a peculiarly modern art form. 

Brett Weston
[Photographer, b. 1911, Los Angeles, d. 1993, Kona, Hawaii.]

 Photography is 90% sheer, brutal drudgery! The other 10% is inspiration!! 
quotes 1-8 of 377
page 1 of 48 next page last page
display quotes